Library of Congress – Vintage Aerial views

The US Library of Congress has an internet accessible gallery of vintage aerial views of towns, primarily from across the USA. The gallery can be searched by a number of different terms, but perhaps the most useful is by state or location at ;- https://www.loc.gov/collections/panoramic-maps/index/location/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Be aware that a number of download styles are available, including full size versions exceeding 100MB as downloads.

 

As an aid to the Maine Two Foot enthusiast to determine whether they wish to visit the LOC site to download their own copies, we show the following reduced copy views. Clicking on these pictures will show a larger version in your browser.

Bridgton, Maine, 1888.

Bridgton 1888 03

This view shows the original Bridgton & Saco River railroad entering the town just below the ponds at the middle left. Note that the inset picture at the lower left is a coloured rendition of the black & white photograph published in many standard texts about the B&SR, including Jones’ Two Feet to the Lakes on page 36.

The pictorial view is notable for showing many of the Mills of Bridgton. Inspection of the full sized copy on the LOC site (at https://www.loc.gov/item/83694327/ ) allows the feint numbering of the mills to be read.

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Monson, Maine, 1889.  

Monson 1889 03

This view is noteworthy for showing the tracks of the Monson railroad entering town, and then going to the individual slate mines beyond the station area.

The full size copy is available from https://www.loc.gov/item/73694689/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Kingfield, Maine, 1895.

Kingfield 1895 03

This view shows the original Franklin & Megantic railroad entering Kingfield as a spur while the mainline bypasses the town in the background.

The full size copy is available from https://www.loc.gov/item/2002621454/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Wiscasset, Maine, 1878. 

This view predates the building of the Wiscasset & Quebec two foot line, but does show the standard gauge line, town and wharves.

Wiscasset 1878 03

The full size copy is available from https://www.loc.gov/item/2002621455/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Gardiner, Maine, 1878.

This view predates the building of the Kennebec Central two foot line, but does show the standard gauge line on the opposite bank, the town and wharves. It also shows just how neatly the Kennebec Central was threaded through the existing landscape.

Gardiner 1878 03

The full size copy is available from https://www.loc.gov/item/2002621455/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

Laconia, New Hampshire, 1883.

Although not served by a two foot line, the interest in this view is the Laconia Car Company shown in the middle of town. This company built a number of items of rolling stock for the Maine Two Footers either directly or in a previous incarnation as The Ranlet Car Company.

Laconia 1883 03

The full size copy is available from https://www.loc.gov/item/2002621455/

Click here to go to the Library of Congress page for this view in another browser window.

 

Track Schematics – The Kennebec Central

This series of track schematics were produced by Trevor Marshall in 2007 as part of his mid-term re-design for his On2 Somerset & Piscataquis Counties RR layout, and were originally published on the groups Fotopic site. Trevor drew them up to enhance his understanding of the operations of the smaller Maine Two Footers and to demonstrate the relative simplicity of their facilities. They are not to scale and where the track work changed over time, they generally represent the largest variant. Note that the original intent of these track schematics was as model railroad LDE’s (Layout Design Elements) rather than as historically or prototypically correct representations.

Click here to view Trevor Marshall’s On2 Somerset & Piscataquis Counties RR layouts on another page.

 

KCRR-01-Randolphc

The Kennebec Central was another simple line, running the five miles from a terminus on the riverside at Randolph (above) to the National Soldier’s Home at Togus (below).

KCRR-02-Togusc

Prototype Information: the Kennebec Central locomotives

The notes on individual locomotives were originally collated and published by Chuck Collins, and are re-published here with his permission. The introduction, updates and formatting for this blog by Terry Smith.

The Kennebec Central Railroad 

The Kennebec Central was built in to connect the National Soldiers Home at Togus to nearby Gardiner, but finished a little short on the Eastern Shore of the Kennebec River at Randolph. The backers of the line included Weston Lewis and Josiah Maxcey, both bankers who were also associated with the Sandy River and Franklin & Megantic railroads. Construction of the line started in 1889. The line hauled coaled from a riverside wharf and storage facility to the Soldiers Home boiler house, and also provided regular passenger and freight service. Special services were provided for major events held at the soldiers when trains ran continuously until all passengers had been transported.

The line was five miles long with a couple of intermediate stops. When the original loco’s were worn out, the KC bought second-hand replacements from the B&SR in 1922 and the SR&RL in 1925. The KC ceased operations in 1929, and eventually both of these locomotives were acquired by Frank Winter for his WW&FR in 1932.

KC #1

Baldwin built 1890 as Kennebec Central #1 Volunteer.

16 ton outside frame 0-4-4RT
38″ diameter 130psi boiler
9″x14″ cylinders
33″ drivers
Rear tank held 600 gallons water & 3/4 ton coal.

This locomotive served as Kennebec Central #1 (1890 – 1922).

Repeated the design of Franklin & Megantic #2. Became the standby engine when Kennebec Central #2 was delivered in December 1890. Scrapped when Bridgton & Saco River #3 was purchased in 1922.

KC #2

Portland #621 built 12/1890 as Kennebec Central #2 Veteran.

15 ton inside frame 0-4-4RT
33″ diameter 140psi boiler
9″x12″ cylinders
30″ drivers
Rear tank carried 600 gallons water & 3/4 ton coal.

This locomotive served as Kennebec Central #2 (1890 – 1925+).

Some historians suggest this locomotive repeated the design of Phillips & Rangeley #1, but photographs suggest a lower and more diminutive profile. Phillips & Rangeley # 1 was the most powerful two foot gauge engine in Maine when Kennebec Central #2 was built, and the Kennebec Central may have specified a smaller engine to pull lighter trains over shorter distances. The estimated specifications above assume Portland repeated the design of Bridgton & Saco River #1-2 for this locomotive. Purchased as a standby engine, but appears to have been the preferred Kennebec Central engine until Bridgton & Saco River #3 was purchased in 1922. Kennebec Central #2 then became the standby engine until Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6 was purchased in 1925. Veteran was subsequently stored outdoors at Randolph and dismantled as a source of spare parts to keep the other Portland engines operating.

KC #3

Purchased from the Bridgton & Saco River (their #3) in 1922.

Portland #624 built 4/1892 as Bridgton & Saco River #3.  

This locomotive also served as

Kennebec Central #3 (1922 – 1932) and  

Wiscasset Waterville & Farmington Railway #8 (1932 – 1937)

Portland #624 built 4/1892 as Bridgton & Saco River #3.

19 ton inside frame 0-4-4RT
35″ diameter 140psi boiler
10″x14″ cylinders
31″ drivers
Rear tank carried 600 gallons water & 3/4 ton coal.

Bridgton’s master mechanic Mel Caswell had Portland Company modify the design they had used for Phillips & Rangeley #1 and two Sandy River engines. This engine was purchased to increase the number of daily trains to Bridgton. It was the preferred engine until Bridgton & Saco River #4 was delivered in 1901. Used as a standby engine following delivery of Bridgton & Saco River #7 in 1913. Sold to Kennebec Central 10 August 1922 as Kennebec Central #3. Used as the preferred Kennebec Central engine until service was discontinued 29 June 1929. Purchased by Frank Winter and moved to Wiscasset in 1932. Renumbered Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington #8 and used as the preferred engine until wrecked at Whitefield 15 June 1933. The wreck caused abandonment of the Wiscasset, Waterville, & Farmington Railroad. The locomotive was scrapped at the wreck site in 1937.

KC #4

The KC purchased this loco from the SR&RL (their #6) in 1925. 

Portland #622 built 5/1891 as Sandy River #5 N. B. Beal.

18 ton inside frame 0-4-4RT
34″ diameter 140psi boiler
10.5″x14″ cylinders
33″ drivers
Rear tank carried 600 gallons water & 3/4 ton coal.

This locomotive served as

Sandy River #5 (1890 – 1908).

Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6 (1908 – 1925).

Kennebec Central as KC #4 (1908 – 1925).

Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington #9 (1908 – 1925).

Currently at the WW&F Museum.

This engine was a repeat order for the design of Sandy River #4. Purchased to handle lumber traffic being produced by mills on the newly completed Phillips and Rangeley Railroad. Used as the Sandy River freight engine until Sandy River 2nd #2 was delivered in September 1893. Overturned at Strong in December 1892, and repaired with a new cab January 1893. Burned in Phillips 19 June 1897 engine house fire. Engineer Will Barker was killed when this engine was hit and overturned by a standard gauge engine at the Farmington diamond on 20 December 1897. Used as the Franklin & Megantic freight engine from completion of repairs in February 1898 until the former Laurel River & Hot Springs Mogul was purchased in February, 1900. Then used as the Franklin and Megantic passenger engine. Renumbered Sandy River & Rangeley Lakes #6 in 1908. Overturned with passenger train south of Salem Summit 23 January 1917. Electric headlight installed 13 December 1921. Sold to the Kennebec Central as KC #4 in 1925 and used as their standby engine until discontinuance of service in 1929. Purchased by Frank Winter and moved to Wiscasset in 1932. Renumbered Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington #9 and used as the standby engine until discontinuance of service on the Wiscasset, Waterville and Farmington in 1933. Purchased by a railfan and moved to Connecticut in 1937.

 

Passenger car models availability by prototype roadnames;- Kennebec Central

Kennebec Central Passenger cars    Rev 1                                     21-12-2013

RR

#

Type

Model Builder

Notes

Current Status

Builder

Date

Kennebec Central

1 (10)

Combine

DRL-0-KC1

Jackson & Sharp

1890

2 (11)

Coach

DRL-0-KC2

Jackson & Sharp

1890

3 (12)

Combine

Rebuilt from excursion car

Jackson & Sharp

1891

4

Coach

Jackson & Sharp

1896

6 (13)

Combine

Jackson & Sharp

1891

Deerfield River Laser make 36 foot Quik-Kits (coded * in this table), 46 foot kits (coded ** in this table) and 6 foot 6 inches wide ends (coded # in this table). See the Deerfield River Laser Two foot page for further details (note that the link below will take you straight to this page, use your browser back arrow to come back here);-

http://www.deerfieldriverlaser.com/CarsSidesList.html

Deerfield have a new page specifically for their KC kits at;-

http://www.deerfieldriverlaser.com/MaineKCCarsLongSides.html

Locomotive models available by prototype roadname; Kennebec Central

 

Railroad

Loco #

 Locomotive

Manufacturer

min radius

Notes

KC

roster info Carter

KC

1

Forney 0-4-4T Baldwin purchased 1890, scrapped 1922

KC

2

Forney 0-4-4T Portland

Hobbybarn 577-18

etch

purchased 1890, scrapped 1926

KC

3

Forney 0-4-4T Portland purchased B&SR #3 1920, sold to WW&F #8  1933

 KC

4

Forney 0-4-4T Portland

NJ/CB -GOM(SR&RL #6)

model

33″ *

purchased SR&RL #6 1913, sold to WW&F #9 1933, model built as SR&RL #6

Kennebec Central; Historic list of plans

Historic Kennebec Central Drawings list: this list of drawings was provided by Chester Louis, and was last updated on the 17th November 2003.

RR Description Author Reference source  yr-mo Vol-issue pg-
KEC Coal Car Conversion Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-26
KEC Flat Car Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-26
KEC Coal Car #10 Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-27
KEC Coal Car #10 Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-140
KEC Boxcar #21 Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-27
KEC Boxcar #22 Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-27
KEC Boxcar #22 Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-138
KEC loco #2 Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-28
KEC loco #3 (ex B&SR #3) Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-136
KEC loco #4 drawing (ex SR&RL #6) Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-137
KEC Plow/Flanger Kennebec Central & Monson RR Technical Guide  1986/          pg-28
KEC Combine #3 Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-139
KEC Excursion Car #12 Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-141
KEC Kennebec Central system maps Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-183
KEC Car Shop (N scale dwg) RMC  1993/06        pg-
KEC Randolph Engine House Ewell,  Wes Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-142
KEC Randolph Turntable Jensen, Bill Short & Narrow rails  1978/09 v04#04 pg-24
KEC Randolph station drawings Ewell, Wes M2FQ  1999/   v04#05 pg-7
KEC Randolph Station, full set of plans Ewell,  Wes M2FQ  1999/09 v05#01 pg-7
KEC Randolph Station Ewell,  Wes Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-146
KEC Randolph Station Weathervane Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet To Togus  1999/          pg-152
KEC Randolph 1884 map, pre KC Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-011
KEC Randolph 1892 yard map Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-015
KEC Randolph 1897 yard map Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-024
KEC Randolph 1903 yard map Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-015
KEC Randolph 1910 yard map Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-015
KEC Randolph 1922 yard map Schlechter, Robert L Two Feet to Togus  1999/          pg-062

The Book list – Part 4 – The Kennebec Central

kcbk1

Maine Two Foot Railroad Books

Author

Year

Library #

Kennebec Central

 Revision date: 17 August 2013
Vol 1 – The Kennebec Central and Monson Railroads Peter S. Barney 1986 68 pages, 8½ x 11, LOC 86-070947
Vol 2 – Structures of the Maine Two Footers – B&SR, Kennebec Central & Monson Peter S. Barney 1988 64 pages, 11 x 8½,  LOC 88-071314
Vol 8 – Industries & Operations of the Maine Two-Foot Gauge Railroads: Operations on the B&SR, Kennebec Central, WW&F and Monson Peter S. Barney 1997 84 pages, 11 x 8½, LOC 88-071314
Freight Equipment of the Other Two Footers (KC, Monson, W&Q/WWFR) Peter S. Barney 2007 102 pages, 8½ x 5½, 173 photos, 24 plans
Kennebec Central and Monson Railroads, A Pictorial Journey Peter S. Barney 2008 96 pages, 8½ x 5½, 159 photos, 20 plans
Two Feet to Togus – The Kennebec Central Railroad Robert C Jones 1999 198 pages, 8½ x 11, 99-68177 ISBN 0-9667264-1-3  1rst Edition